B pillars left to cover and then a little trimming. One last smooth with the steam and then time to glue it all in. Getting close!
On my last 356 I restored the ashtray, as well as all the other chrome parts on the dash. Really looked great. Actually before restoring the ashtray, I bought a replacement from one of the standard suppliers. However, I was very disappointed in the replacement part. I took the photo below comparing the creases in the face of the ashtray. The creases/lines in the replacement part is much subtile, not well defined like the original. See comparison photo below. Anyway, that repro part was shipped back and I removed the chrome on the original and had it restored. I then reconditioned all the other pieces and reassembled. Result was great. However,,,,
However this time the ashtray is actually broken. No practical repair available and I had already decided I did not want repro.
Patience and some $$$ and a correct NOS one became available to me. Photos below show the NOS one and the broken original. Happy to have this to install!!
the blog Archives