I made the decision not to change the condition of my floors--- for now. They are lumpy/bumpy, but NOT rusty. I don't mind the work to pound out the dents, that would be fairly simple, but it would cause loss of undercoating on the floor bottoms. I don't want to tackle taking off all the original undercoating and putting new Wurth back on. Been there, done that before and it is not fun! Since these floors are solid and not rusty, they are going to stay in this condition for quite a while.
If you want to read an article I wrote on restoring original floors, take a look HERE
Photos below of how I will leave them. Ready for underlayment and carpet. The brown color in the photos is NOT rust. It is old glue.
Updated the web page for my Tool Kit today. Took a few shots that were missing and added a good close up of the generator/fan belt. I made the artwork for back-dating a new/modern fan belt to look like the belts that originally came in the tool kit and on the engine. Came out pretty nice. More photos in the Tool Kit Section
B pillars left to cover and then a little trimming. One last smooth with the steam and then time to glue it all in. Getting close!
On my last 356 I restored the ashtray, as well as all the other chrome parts on the dash. Really looked great. Actually before restoring the ashtray, I bought a replacement from one of the standard suppliers. However, I was very disappointed in the replacement part. I took the photo below comparing the creases in the face of the ashtray. The creases/lines in the replacement part is much subtile, not well defined like the original. See comparison photo below. Anyway, that repro part was shipped back and I removed the chrome on the original and had it restored. I then reconditioned all the other pieces and reassembled. Result was great. However,,,,
However this time the ashtray is actually broken. No practical repair available and I had already decided I did not want repro.
Patience and some $$$ and a correct NOS one became available to me. Photos below show the NOS one and the broken original. Happy to have this to install!!
Finished restoring my Jack and that finally completes my tool kit! Photos of the tool kit are in the Tool Kit Section.
The car arrived last year with the battery held in place with a bungee cord and no battery cover. I thought about buying a new cover, but instead got lucky and found a nice condition original one. It arrived today. Not going to buy a battery until I am ready to install all electrical, which will likely be the Spring of 2019.
Still waiting for the top rubber buffer/guard to arrive so I can complete this little project, but I did make some good progress on cleaning up the original jack. Not polished to concours level, but I am happy with it.
As you will see in the photos below, my original glove box had been butchered. Someone cut holes in the back of the glove box and the inside flocking was in poor condition. New glove boxes are costly, so I set out for a solution.
A surprise to me was to see a glove box for sale on Ebay described as for a Porsche 914. Price was only $10. Shape looked the same to me, so "click" on the Buy-It-Now and it arrived at my doorstep. To my delight, It has the same outside dimensions/shape as the 356 glove box. Take a look at the side by side photos. The horrible one is the original 356 part.
There are differences. The cut out for the magnetic latch is not here, nor is the cut out for the lock. Also, the 914 box had no flocking. So, out came my utility knife and I cut the box for the correct latch and lock. I followed this with a good cleaning of the inside and applied black paint to the outside. Lastly I applied glue and flocking.
I am happy with the result. My $10 glove box!!
I haven't had the time or the motivation to set up for the wet sanding on the dash. Will need drop cloth, buckets, and rags galore. In the meantime, I am fussing as time permits on cleaning up the appearance of the front trunk area. I'm keeping the original insulation and all the undercoating you see in the photos is original as well. Just touched up with paint. I removed and cleaned the master cylinder reservoir and replaced the soft brake line underneath it. Repainted the cover plate over the steering coupler, and cleaned up the wiring. Maybe not concours, but getting towards well maintained driver's level.
Wolfgang Porsche is not only an Ambassador for the Porsche family and for the company, but he is also a collector of important Porsche cars. In the video below he describes his collection. I happen to really like the description of the 356 starting at about 6:30 seconds into the video. Nice car Wolfgang!
At bottom of page, click on "previous" to see more