After posting yesterday about the hinge assembly, I was asked a question about the washer that is staked in place to hold the threaded ring from loosening. An eagle eyed reader noticed that one of my washers had the tab broken off. It was useless. He is right and perhaps others will run across this.
So, as an addendum to the first hinge post below, here is what I did to solve the no longer available (NLA) broken part. I probably should have included this information in the first Blog posting.
Take a look at the photo below, notice that the tab that points towards the center is missing/broken off of the washer on the right side. The photo shows one good washer (left), one broken washer (right), and also a lid from a small can of paint I had in the garage.
My original thought was to use a thread locker compound on the threads of the locking ring, and that likely would have worked just fine. But being an originality freak, I just had to follow the original design and make my own part from the paint can lid! I know, nuts!
I started with the tin snips and cut out the perimeter. Then took the Dremel and made two parallel lines that would outline the tab. I decided to make the tab go clear across to the other side, to add some strength.
Next was careful use of the Dremel to round out the inner circle for the drive shaft, leaving my new tab in place.
Completed!! Here it is- installed and staked into place!
Be sure to click on "Previous" at the page bottom to see lots of previous Blog pages!
At bottom of page, click on "previous" to see more- 13 pages of info.