You can tell from previous Blog posts that I have been sending out all the chrome bits to be re-chromed. So far, so good. I was even successful in taking apart the door handles and removing the grub screws that hold the inner door lock cylinders. All parts will be original and re-chromed. No reproduction parts!
For my last batch of parts I removed the glove box lock, and in preparing this part I needed to remove the key cylinder/tumblers as well. I removed the set screw, inserted the key, and started to remove the cylinder. That's when everything went wrong!
Somehow the key got stuck in the lock, and it took hours of fiddling with it to get the key out. In the process, one of the tumblers fell out- but I found it!
At this point the keyway assembly would not retract from the lock, and also would not turn. Something had jammed up.
It took another couple of hours, and some forceful moves to get all the guts out and separated. Take a look at the small springs and tumblers in there. They are so small, and once they migrated into the wrong place, they locked the whole thing up.
I have now sent the two parts out for chrome work, and when returned, the whole box of small internal parts will go to a proper locksmith. A locksmith is where I should have started!
So, do as I say, not as I do. Unless you are a locksmith, do NOT take this lock apart. Door handles, ok. Clock ok, turn signal switch ok, Glove box lock, NO!
Be sure to click on "Previous" at the page bottom to see lots of previous Blog pages!
restoration & blog Archives