Yesterday I loaded the car on the trailer and took her to the body and paint shop. Reviewed the need for hood repair and a couple of small spots that needed extra attention. I now get to shop around for single stage Irish Green paint while he takes the car down to bare metal.
With the car gone, I am now focused on the items I have removed from the car. I started with the fuel supply. Upon removing the fuel selector valve, I found a clogged mess. Surprised the car ran at all.
With that introduction, I took the float out of the tank (top sender) and looked inside the tank. Looks to have been coated as some point and the coating is coming off. I took a long screwdriver and with very little pressure could scrape some off. Photos below.
Looks like I need to find something to chemically remove the coating. I suspect damage because of ethanol.
After some cleaning, the fuel selector valve looks nice, but I need to buy the soft parts to install. I guess this all could be worse- it could be rusty but I don't see that kind of an issue here.
Be sure to click on "Previous" at the page bottom to see lots of previous Blog pages!
restoration & blog Archives